Friday, September 10, 2010

Out Of Love

Several weeks ago I listened to a talk by Pres. Packer. He gave the talk at a BYU devotional in 1963. The talk was on love... the romantic love. He talked about how out of the greatest expression of love life is created. It is really amazing to think about that. What a miracle, the ultimate expression of love actually creates life.

As I've been thinking about that, I've thought about how whenever we express any type of love we "renew" life in someone's spirit. When David tells me I'm beautiful or someone pays me a compliment or expresses gratitude I feel happy. I feel more alive. In turn, I also feel more happy when I express love to others.

On the flip side I think about how damaging it is when someone breaks trust, yells or demeans. I can actually feel my spirit shrinking and I have seen other's shrink in the those situations.

The only way to renew the soul and bring "life" back to it, is to forgive and to let the atonement of Jesus Christ heal. It's interesting that the atonement is talked about as the greatest expression of love; and it truly is. Not only does the atonement break the physical bands of death and quite literally make it possible for us to enjoy the next life with a resurrected body. But the atonement heals our spirit when we make mistakes. Even more amazing than the remission of sins, as if there could be anything more amazing than that, is how the atonement actually heals a broken heart when love is not expressed.

To actually console and heal a heart that has been shattered by death, divorce, abuse (and the list could go on) truly is a miracle. It is out of that miracle that we find "new" life and the ability to have an abundant life. It is such a journey to heal from devastating situations and seems impossible at times to be able to have a "new" life and a whole heart. I thank God for the Savior and for his atonement. For a loving husband, family and close friends who have helped me learn about this journey.

Love truly does create life on so many levels.


3 comments:

The Young Family said...

So glad you let me see a slice of your life through your blog. You're the same wonderful Kristin I remember!

The Fraughts said...

That's Kristin!! That was a good thing for me to hear! Thanks for being such a great older sister and being a wonderful example for me! I love you!

Hope said...

I needed to hear this today. Thank you so much for posting it - you were inspired!